Basmati Rice Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati (or jasmine) rice
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3 to 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 21 Seasoning Salute to taste (optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cook your rice. Remove from heat. Transfer your rice to a large bowl; cool slightly
- Stir zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, 3 Tbsp. Of the lemon juice, 21 Seasoning Salute to taste (optional) and the pepper into rice.
- Season with salt and, if desired, additional lemon juice. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
To Store: Seal in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Recipe from Forks Over Knives magazine
Sesame Noodle Salad
- 1 pound spaghetti (thin works best)
- 2 Red bell peppers (cored, seeded and sliced thin)
- 6 scallions (sliced diagonally including the green)
- 3 Tablespoons parsley (chopped fresh leaves)
- 1 pound sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 garlic gloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (fresh grated)
- 2 tablespoons honey (mild tasting such as orange blossom)
- 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Cook spaghetti in salted water according to package directions, drain and set aside. Bring another large pot of salted water to a boil, add the snap peas, return to boil and cook for 5 minutes, until crisp but tender. Lift snap peas out with slotted spoon and immediately place them into a bowl of ice water then drain. In a medium bowl whisk together vegetable oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds and peanut butter.
In a large bowl combine spaghetti, snap peas, peppers, parsley and scallions. Pour dressing over the spaghetti mixture and toss? Add the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds over top of salad.
Healthy Warm Farro Salad
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
This salad can be served warm or cold.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fennel, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- Tofu, cubed, or shrimp
Stir fry onion, fennel and mushroom, tofu or shrimp with 3 tbsp butter or olive oil. Set aside.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- 2 cups chicken broth, (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1. Mix olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
2. Combine chicken broth and farro together in a large frying pan or wok, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until farro is tender and the broth is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Stir olive oil mixture into farro until farro is coated. Add kale to farro mixture; cook and stir until kale is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the stir fry mixture. Sprinkle feta cheese over farro salad and stir until cheese is incorporated.
Season salad with more salt and pepper if desired.