(adapted from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook)
2 cups grated potato, about 1 large baking potato
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp organic butter
1 small onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 handfuls of spinach
½ can artichoke hearts (chopped)
5-6 sundried tomatoes soaked and chopped
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt (or more to taste)
6 organic eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup grated raw organic jack cheese
Fresh basil (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place the grated potato into a small bowl with the sea salt. Let rest for about 10 min. Then squeeze out the excess water. Oil a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with olive oil or butter. Place grated potato into the pie plate and press evenly into bottom of dish.
- In a med skillet heat the 2 tsp butter, add diced onion and garlic and saute over med heat until soft, about 5 min.
- Add other veggies and cook until spinach is wilted. Add spices and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Pour veggies on top of potato.
- Mix cheese and eggs in a bowl and pour over veggies in oven dish.
- Sprinkle the top with extra grated cheese if desired. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 30 – 40 min or until eggs are cooked through.
Black Bean & Quinoa Enchilada Bake
(adapted from online site www.twopeasandtheirpod.com)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup organic corn frozen kernels
Juice of 1 lime
3 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 backing dish and set aside.
- Add quinoa and water to a med saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 min. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 min, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and saute until softened, about 5 min. Add in corn. Cook for about 3-4 min. Add the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix quinoa with veggies. Use as much of the quinoa as you like. Save the rest for another time.
- In 9x 12 pan layer: tortillas; enchilada sauce, veggies & beans, cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes covered and 10 minutes without the cover.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes Yield: 6 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- ¼ pound mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups half-and- half
- ½ cup grated Gruyere
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Pie crust of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and zucchini and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the liquid is rendered and the vegetables are wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- And the tomatoes, basil and thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and half- and-half together. And the salt, pepper, grated Gruyere, and crushed red pepper.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into the prepared piecrust, pour in the egg mixture, and crumble goat cheese on top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until set. (High altitude 40 -45 minutes)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- 1 large eggplant, about 1-1/2 pounds
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 to 1 ½ C. Italian bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Mozzarella whole milk cheese, sliced
- ½ C. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 – 10 oz. jars of your favorite marinara sauce
- Wash, peel eggplant and cut crosswise in ½ inch slices.
- Dip into eggs, coat with seasoned bread crumbs, place on platter and refrigerate at least ½ hour.
- Heat about 1/8 inch olive oil in skillet.
- Fry eggplant on both sides until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Spread 1/3 of sauce in greased 9” x 12” baking dish.
- Layer half of the eggplant, half of the mozzarella, a third of the sauce and half of the Parmesan. Repeat layers.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.